Can you help lead conversations, creating an informal opportunity for people to chat and practice their English in a safe space?
Help Mustard Tree provide a platform for people to improve their English and build towards qualifications in an open and supportive environment.
What you’ll be doing: Role Description
- Helping plan and deliver sessions and workshops to groups with mixed abilities and interests on a weekly basis
- Supporting the lead facilitator in developing activities that promote and encourage participants to use a range of language functions
- Creating and maintaining a comfortable, casual atmosphere where participants are encouraged to confidently speak up, chat and engage with each other
- Encouraging participation and helping build participant’s confidence, whilst understanding that not everyone will ‘jump right in’
- Being friendly, patient and supportive
- Being comfortable providing advice and support around English language skills
General Volunteering Duties
- Work within health, safety and safeguarding guidelines and Mustard Tree policies and procedures
- Embody Mustard tree values and represent the charity as required
What we’re looking for: Person Specification
|Specification||Essential / Desirable|
|Good English language ability both in written and verbal form||Essential|
|Experience of working in a team||Essential|
|Good interpersonal skills||Essential|
|Flexible and can-do attitude – encouraging others to work to our vision and values||Essential|
|Experience working with vulnerable adults||Desirable|
|Experience with tutoring, supporting, or leading a workshop||Desirable|
Our English Conversation Club runs from 10:00am – 11:00am on Wednesdays, so volunteers would be expected to be available from 9:45am until 11:15am.
We would ask for a minimum commitment of at least 10 weeks, as consistent as possible.
If you are interested in this volunteering opportunity, please submit an online Friend Of Mustard Tree application form.
If you have any queries, please call 0161 228 7331.