Can you help lead conversations, creating an informal opportunity for people to chat and practice their English in a safe space?
Help Mustard Tree provide a platform for people to improve their English and build towards qualifications in an open and supportive environment.
What you’ll be doing: Role Description
- Helping plan and deliver sessions and workshops to groups with mixed abilities and interests on a weekly basis
- Supporting the lead facilitator in developing activities that promote and encourage participants to use a range of language functions
- Creating and maintaining a comfortable, casual atmosphere where participants are encouraged to confidently speak up, chat and engage with each other
- Encouraging participation and helping build participant’s confidence, whilst understanding that not everyone will ‘jump right in’
- Being friendly, patient and supportive
- Being comfortable providing advice and support around English language skills
General Volunteering Duties
- Work within health, safety and safeguarding guidelines and Mustard Tree policies and procedures
- Embody Mustard tree values and represent the charity as required
What we’re looking for: Person Specification
|Specification||Essential / Desirable|
|Good English language ability both in written and verbal form||Essential|
|Experience of working in a team||Essential|
|Good interpersonal skills||Essential|
|Flexible and can-do attitude – encouraging others to work to our vision and values||Essential|
|Experience working with vulnerable adults||Desirable|
|Experience with tutoring, supporting, or leading a workshop||Desirable|
Our English Conversation Club runs from 10:00am – 11:00am on Wednesdays, so volunteers would be expected to be available from 9:45am until 11:15am.
We would ask for a minimum commitment of at least 10 weeks, as consistent as possible.
Alternatively, enquire in our Ancoats site or call 0161 850 2282