|Job Title:||Head of Fundraising|
|Salary:||£35,000 – £40,000|
|Working Hours:||37.5 hours a week|
|Responsible for Managing:||Fundraising Team consisting of:
Mustard Tree’s mission is to combat poverty and prevent homelessness and we have worked throughout Greater Manchester for the past 25 years. We are committed to helping people achieve long-term, sustainable results, breaking down the rigid barriers that trap people in the vicious cycle of poverty. Our view is that the next 18-24 months will be particularly difficult for those with less income as inflation continues to rise on essential items such as food and energy. By joining Mustard Tree, you will help us make a real difference in helping people when they need it most.
The Head of Fundraising is a pivotal member of the Mustard Tree Leadership Team, reporting directly to the CEO. You are responsible for developing, directing, and delivering the fundraising strategy and achieving the required targets and growth of voluntary income – in line with Mustard Tree’s vision and mission. You will be responsible for budgeted fundraising targets and their achievement, and for keeping within the budget. The Head of Fundraising will make a significant organisational impact through:
- Inspirational direction and leadership, as well as strategic, resource and people management
- Developing the quality and profile of fundraising, building strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, in particular Trustees, current and potential Major Donors, Corporates and Trusts and Foundations and senior staff across Mustard Tree
- Managing donor journeys at all levels and ensuring that an effective stewardship programme is created and implemented.
- Leading and managing a highly effective fundraising team, further fostering a productive and motivational work environment.
- Proactive leadership and management of Individual Giving, Corporates, Community Groups, Trusts Fundraising and community campaign.
- Managing all sources of fundraising streams including accurate data recording, correspondences, and allied communication systems
- Management, supervision, recruitment and training of the fundraising team and for ensuring exceptional working standards which comply with statutory and regulatory authorities including but not limited to GDPR, Charity Commission, the Fundraising Regulator Code of Practice
Main Areas of Responsibility
Working with the CEO, Trustees, fundraising team and others to create, develop and implement current and future Fundraising strategy in line with Mustard Tree’s vision and mission
Assisting the CEO and Trustees to fulfil their governance duties regarding fundraising by providing relevant data, reports and recommendations which enable development and ensure that statutory, governance, legal and constitutional responsibilities are met
Working closely and constructively with Trustees and other supporters, in particular in relation to increasing income from Major Donor
Analysing and fully utilising the fundraising database to produce reports to aid the management of the fundraising campaign
Leadership and Management
Identify the appropriate staffing requirements, retain and recruit a highly motivated workforce with the right skill sets to deliver outstanding services
Line-management: ensure the effective use of performance management, mentoring, training and appraisal for all department staff. Develop agreed performance targets (KPIs) and ensure an effective system is in place to monitor and report on these targets, ensuring they are met or exceeded and tackling performance issues with honesty and empathy.
Facilitate, foster and encourage teamwork among the fundraising team, ensuring collaboration and mutual support including reasonable out of hours working – and to personally provide cover where this is not otherwise possible
Ensure close collaboration with other Mustard Tree departments in order to maximise the effectiveness of the Fundraising activities, and to make sure that all staff are aware of and encouraged to take part in the events organised by the fundraising department
Leadership: champion employee engagement to increase motivation and quality – acting with integrity, enabling autonomy, sharing information, valuing each employee, celebrating achievements, team building, ensuring employees are listened to, being visible, sharing the vision
Major Donors / Corporates/ Trusts
- To consolidate, maintain and develop and Mustard Tree’s relationships with its existing Major Donors, Corporates and Trusts
- To ensure that research is continuously carried out on Major Donors, Corporates and Trusts to aid and support solicitation plans
- To maintain regular communication with existing and potential Major Donors and Trusts in order to recognise, maintain and strengthen their support
- To ensure that Major Donors and Trusts are made aware of and involved in any events organised by the fundraising department and opportunities, as appropriate, to visit Mustard Tree
- To ask for/ solicit donations from Major Donors, Corporates and Trusts.
Other Areas and General Work Duties
To consider and advise on streams of income not currently being pursued and to introduce them in line with the fundraising strategy
To work with Marketing and Communications support and the requisite external and/or internal professionals to execute this work
To take on other responsibilities which the Chief Executive may from time-to-time require and in addition to regular office hours, the Head of Fundraising will be expected to attend meetings and events outside normal office hours and at other Mustard Tree and external venues
To ensure a high performing environment and a leadership culture which is challenging, empowering and supportive.
Support beneficiaries to develop ‘work ready’ skills and behaviours i.e. confidence, punctuality, time management, communication, teamwork and initiative
Overseeing and working within health & safety guidelines and Mustard Tree policies and procedures
Supporting other staff and departments and providing practical relief cover for work-streams
Take responsibility for professional development, attending training courses as required
Leading by example, embodying Mustard Tree cultures and values and representing the charity with external partners
Contribute towards being an environmentally responsible organisation as part of day to day activities including recycling and supporting ‘paper-lite’ practices
Other tasks and duties relevant to the role as required by the organisation
What we are looking for: Person Specification
|Specification||Essential / Desirable|
|Experience in planning and implementing communications strategies and marketing materials||Essential|
|Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with confidence in presenting to different audiences as well as press management||Essential|
|University Degree in complementary field or equivalent experience
|A proven track record of securing funds from companies, winning new business and knowledge of other areas of fundraising||Essential|
|Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills||Essential|
|Proven ability to work on own initiative, meet objectives and tight deadlines under pressure||Essential|
|Enthusiastic and willing to work flexibly including some early evening and occasional weekend work
|Understanding of the impact of homelessness, poverty and social exclusion||Desirable|
|Line management experience
The application process is to send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.