Textiles Support Facilitator
Mustard Tree is looking for somebody who is passionate about sewing and garment making to help facilitate our Monday Textiles Class in Ancoats!
We’re searching for individuals that can share practical skills including cutting patterns, using sewing machines, and making clothing items, who are patient, warm and non-judgemental. You will be volunteering as part of a team, with the support of Mustard Tree staff.
The purpose of class is to help clients overcome social isolation, meet new friends, find community, and build their textiles skills and confidence. If you’re passionate about sewing and garment making, would like to make a big difference and be part of a unique community, we’d love to hear from you!
A typical Mustard Tree Textiles class involves helping clients to design, plan and create Textiles pieces and ensuring the class is a warm, calm, and inviting environment where everyone feels welcome.
General Tasks include:
– Setting up materials and equipment for the session.
– Inspiring Clients to express themselves creatively, plan and execute Textiles Projects.
– Teaching textiles skills and techniques to people with varying levels of experience.
– Tidying up and putting away materials/equipment at the end of session.
We’re looking for:
– Good knowledge of garment making, embroidery and all things Textiles, including practical skills e.g. setting up and using sewing machine/Making patterns.
– A kind and non-judgemental person.
– Great communication skills, and the ability to listen to others.
– Ability to Multi-task.
– Knowledge of poverty and homelessness/experience volunteering with vulnerable people would be great, but is not essential!
The class is 12pm – 3pm on a Monday afternoon. Mustard Tree is based in Ancoats, which is just a 10 minute walk from the city centre, through the Northern Quarter.
Address: 110 Oldham road, Ancoats, Manchester, M4 6AG
We provide out of pocket expenses and a delicious lunch prepared on site in the Mustard Tree training kitchen. The minimum commitment to volunteer with Mustard Tree, is once per month.
If you would like to apply, please follow the below link to our timecounts page, create an account and complete the volunteering application form, stating that you are interested in the Textiles Session Facilitator role.